how many people live in gauteng


As of 2016, Gauteng Province is home to over 12.3 million people. This makes it the most populous province in South Africa, as well as the most populous province in the entire southern African region. Gauteng is also the economic powerhouse of South Africa, accounting for over a fifth of the country’s GDP.

The province is made up of two city metros (Johannesburg and Tshwane), and three smaller districts (West Rand, East Rand, and Sedibeng). The Gauteng City Region is the most urbanised area in the province, and is home to over 10 million people. The City of Johannesburg is the largest city in Gauteng, and is also the largest city in South Africa.

Gauteng is a highly diverse province, with people from all over South Africa and the world calling it home. The province is home to over a third of all foreign-born residents in South Africa. This diversity is reflected in the province’s many different languages, with over 40 different languages spoken in Gauteng.

The province has a long history, dating back to the early days of the South African Republic. Gauteng was originally part of the Transvaal Province, but was divided into four provinces in 1994 (Gauteng, North West, Mpumalanga, and Limpopo) as part of the country’s transition to democracy.

Gauteng is a bustling, vibrant province that is full of opportunity. It is a great place to live, work, and raise a family. If you’re looking for a place to call home, Gauteng is the perfect choice.

Gauteng is the smallest province in South Africa, but it is also the most populous. In 2011, the province had a population of 12,272,263 people. This was an increase of 8.2% from the previous census in 2001. The majority of the population (85.6%) live in urban areas, with the remaining 14.4% living in rural areas.

The province is home to the city of Johannesburg, which is the largest city in South Africa. Other major cities in the province include Pretoria, Soweto and Tembisa.

Gauteng is a prosperous province and is the economic powerhouse of South Africa. It is responsible for around 34% of the country’s GDP. The province is home to many large businesses and industries, including mining, manufacturing, finance and tourism.

The population of Gauteng is growing rapidly. This is due to natural population growth and inward migration from other parts of South Africa and from other countries. The province is an attractive destination for people who are looking for work and opportunities.

The province is also home to a large number of immigrants from other countries. Many of these immigrants come from Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Nigeria and other parts of Africa.


Latest posts

  • Johnny Clegg

    Jonathan (Johnny) Clegg was born June 7, 1953 in Rochdale near Manchester in England. Already in his youth, Johnny Clegg, a white, English-speaking person with what he called a ‘secular Jewish’ upbringing in Britain, Israel, Zimbabwe and South Africa, became interested in Zulu street music and took part in traditional Zulu dance competitions. As a […]

    Read more

  • Wessels

    Away fro city life… I met a European couple (the guy from the Netherlands and the girl from UK) in Australia a couple of years ago. They are now planning to come visit South Africa later this year and I thought it may be useful for European travellers to hear a South African’s opinion of […]

    Read more

  • how many months income do you need for a mortgage in south africa

    It is a common misconception that you need a large deposit to get a mortgage in South Africa. You can actually get a mortgage with a deposit of as little as 3% of the purchase price. However, the size of your deposit will affect the interest rate you are offered and the amount you will […]

    Read more