The house was built in 1884 by builder Charles Clark from Pretoria. It was one of the first homes in Pretoria to be lit by electricity. The original brass switches were manufactured by the German company Siemens & Schuckert.
The house many original furnishings and includes some of the gifts that were presented to Kruger.
In the corner where Gezina did her sewing is a special table that contained her sewing necessities as well as her original needlework box.
When in residence the President received a constant flow of visitors in the Reception room with its double suite of furniture. The room contains many important pieces, including the table at which Kruger talked with many famous people such as John X Merriman, Cecil John Rhodes, Henry Stanley and Mark Twain; and a bronze-gilded eagle gifted by a group of Irish-Americans from Chicago after the failure of the Jameson Raid. Pretoria; Gauteng
Pretoria Church Square; Pretoria Station; Union Buildings; Voortrekker Monument
Tswaing Meteorite Crater;
There are two rooms at the western end of the house. The President retired to the inner room when he was in need of meditation, whereas the front room was mostly used by his secretary. It has one of the first telephones to be installed in Pretoria in 1891.
The main bedroom still has the large wardrobe originally used by the Krugers.
Although little is left of the original dining room furniture, the room has been re-furnished in the same way in which is was in Kruger’s day. The adjoining pantry also has furniture and utensils typical of the period.
The Lions on the veranda were given to President Kruger as a birthday gift on 10 October 1896 by Barney Barnato, the mining magnate.